Monday, January 28, 2013

Culture of Sharing:etmooc_Topic 1


I have been raised in educational settings where the teacher expected students to do their work alone, without even consulting others. I never really thought about anyone else's education. If I had a thought or idea, I kept it to myself. I thought if I shared what I knew with others they would get better grades than me. I was learning and that's all that really mattered. I realized now that I was wrong. I never imagined that by keeping what I know and not sharing it, I was denying my classmates an important learning opportunity for me and them.


We need to share what we know and what we create with other because the information changes rabidly and what we know today will be out of date tomorrow. When you share what you know and do with other, you learn much more than just keep it to yourself. When we share what we know or do with other, we build knowledge. We build upon our own knowledge and the knowledge of other through knowledge building community. We learn from each other much more than if we just learn by our self.


It is important as educators to cultivate the culture of sharing between students. If students practice sharing during their formal education, sharing will be a life style, they will practice sharing during their informal settings. So, rather than asking students to submit an assignment for the instructor review, students could be asked to share their product and their resources with students in the class.  







2 comments:

  1. Great points, Mariam! I think that having students share their works with each other and not just with the instructor is very important. In a writing class, for example, they can read and comment on each others' papers. Or in a different sort of class they might make posters and share them with each other. Or they could do presentations in front of the class. Or make presentations that they post on the internet. So many options, but sharing learning is important enough that it's a good thing to help our students get used to, so they see the value of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariam, I really enjoy your post and think if if we could only get all teachers to share it would be so beneficial to the students. I think we are lucky that we have such tools as Prezi, google drive can help students learn from one another.
    I actually have some classes I have had share projects in voicethread and google drive as part of the assignment. It has really helped them to learn from each other which means I'm moving more towards facilitating than teaching, they teach each other through comments. I have enclosed a link to a voicethread where students were graded on comments and the content of the comments (this is nice) didn't cut it. https://voicethread.com/share/3587965/ It really is cool. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete