Friday, August 23, 2013

Democratic Education


Throughout my life’s journey, from my childhood to adulthood, I have constantly struggled with undemocratic relationships in Egyptian society. People have power over other people. At home, my father has power over my mother, my sisters, my brother, and me. My brother has power over my sisters, and my older sisters have power over me because I am the youngest one. At my schools, from elementary school to university, teachers had power over me and other students in the class, and the school administration had power over my teachers. Even among students, some students had power over others because of class, gender, or religion. I learned that the world is hierarchical; there is always a group that has power over another group- one group rules, controls and exploits another. I always wondered how to change undemocratic hierarchical culture in my country to a more equitable and just society. Does education have a role in transforming my country to a democratic one? How can education develop people as citizens able to participate and influence democracy? What educational values can develop people as citizens who act democratically?
Coming to the USA as a doctoral student, I searched for answers to my questions. Taking courses in the field of critical pedagogy and reading Ira Shor’s (1992/1996) ideas about empowering democratic education answered many of my questions about how to create a democratic society. I learned that “education is more than facts and skills. It is a socializing experience that helps make the people who make society” (Shor, 1992, p. 15). I realized the important role that higher education can play to develop a democratic culture in society. Students need to practice democratic habits in the classroom, so that democratic habits become a way of living.  Democratic habits cannot be cultivated by listening to lectures about democracy. Rather, democratic habits must purposely be cultivated through democratic educational practices. Creating a learning environment that invites students to actively participate in designing the course curriculum is an example of a democratic educational practice. As a teacher educator in process, I have been inspired by these ideas. I wished to explore educational contexts in which democratic education is encouraged and supported. It is important for me, for Egyptians, and for others to envision a practical example of a kind of democratic education, a new way of being as a teacher, and new patterns of relationships between students and teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment